Shaping Our Future in and around Saltash: An innovative response to the consultations
We are jointly making this proposal to the Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP) Team, having studied the consultative documents carefully, attended local events to give feedback, and checked responses and feedback with colleagues. We have also consulted the Chair of the League of Friends of St Barnabas Hospital. One of us is an elected member of local government; another is a practicing GP in the town, and the third a patient and voluntary sector representative.
We are asking to set up a local project as part of the STP process.
Our basic position on the STP draft is:
- It seems logical and coherent – although doubts remain for us about the burden of the financial deficit and whether this will prevent proper implementation of the Plan.
- Our major concern with it is a lack of clarity about how the Locality Tier and the GP Clusters/Community Networks might operate in the East? Historically, provision has favoured the Liskeard area over Saltash, and with temporary closures at St Barnabas Hospital in Saltash being undertaken currently by Cornwall Partnership Foundation Trust (CPFT), it will rapidly become totally out of balance. We ask you to take the opportunity to redress this, with properly resourced community facilities serving our local population.
- We also believe that the concept of Urgent Care Centres promoted so far will not work at this end of the county given the poor transport infrastructure and the spread of the population, with no dominant centre – although Saltash has the largest population by far. We think a “dispersed” model of Urgent Care is the only one that will serve local patients well.
- Therefore, to shape the future of the Saltash area in accordance with your overall STP vision, we see a new facility in Saltash to rebalance provision in the far east. It would have X-Ray, ultrasound, other diagnostics etc. and proper Minor Injuries cover. It would be a logical complement to the emergence of a Health & Wellbeing Centre at St Barnabas (as suggested by Phil Confue recently). There is underused NHS accommodation in the town that can facilitate all this. We would also seek to establish step-up and step-down care within local Nursing Homes, under the supervision of local GPs.
- We believe that only by doing this would the STP have any chance of improving the health and wellbeing of the local population and reducing demand on Derriford from the far east of the county, in accordance with your goals. We will also try to anticipate the impact of 1000 more homes being built in the near future. Our first step would be to create a local Alliance of key stakeholders to create a business plan and set up the project.
- Hilary Frank, Mayor of Saltash and Cornwall Councillor
- Birte Morris, GP, Saltash Health Centre
- Peter Thistlethwaite, PPG member, Port View Surgery
February 6 2017